Revisiting The 90% Awesome Career
Happy New Year! As we enter 2024, it is the perfect time to revisit my philosophy about creating a 90% awesome career. I accept nothing less than a fantastic career, and this is a privilege available to all professors. Everyone deserves the best career possible, and I want you to be inspired to create a great academic career.
In today’s episode, I share the five things that need to be in place for you to craft a 90% awesome career. I explain how to work through these steps and give examples of my experiences that you can apply to your journey. It’s time to turn your job in academia into what you want it to be. Tune in to learn how to craft a 90% awesome career!
What is the Work of the Pursuit of the 90% Awesome Career?
- It takes work! And the only person who can do the work to make a 90% awesome career is you. You are the only one with the tools and motivation to make this shift.
- You need to work for clarity. This means you must be crystal clear about what you want from your career. It takes reflection and time to complete this work.
- Self-preservation – you are the most critical asset. Your role or position at the university is not the most important thing. Preserving your physical health, mental health, energy, and boundaries around your time is paramount.
- Be dedicated to the idea that your career can be 90% awesome, and that is what you are choosing. Don’t not accept less.
- Have patience in the process. The work to create a 90% awesome career takes time. You need to allow space to find clarity, self-preservation, and dedication.
“I will not accept a less than amazing career. If I am going to spend most of my waking hours doing something or a third of my life on something, I want it to be great. Not just okay, not just ‘oh I tolerate it every day’. I feel very privileged to be able to do that. I think those of us who are professors get to do that and not very many humans in the history of the world have gotten to create exactly what they wanted out of their career. Very few people today get to do it. So I want to revisit this idea of the 90% awesome career.”
“If you are looking for a place to start, because these things I am talking about: self-preservation, clarity – these are big ideas. If you are looking for an entry into the 90% awesome career, that entry point is our Navigate program.”
We‘re receiving applications for our next cohort of Navigate: Your Writing Roadmap®. Check out the program details and start your application process here.
CONTINUE THE CONVERSATION:
- Our 12-week Navigate: Your Writing Roadmap® program helps tenure-track womxn and nonbinary professors to publish their backlog of papers so that their voice can have the impact they know is possible. Apply here!
- Cathy’s book, Making Time to Write: How to Resist the Patriarchy and Take Control of Your Academic Career Through Writing is available in print! Learn how to build your career around your writing practice while shattering the myths of writing every day, accountability, and motivation, doing mindset work that’s going to reshape your writing, and changing academic culture one womxn and nonbinary professor at a time. Get your print copy today or order it for a friend here!
- Want to train with us for free on your campus? Now you can when you recommend our Scholar’s Voice Faculty Retreats to a decision-maker on your campus! Download the brochure with the retreat curriculum and both in-person and online retreat options here.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL:
Stay current in Academic Publishing
Subscribe to our newsletter:
In the Pipeline
writing tips, publishing trends, reading recomendations, free workshops