Top Hurdles Our Mid-career Clients Face
Today I have for you an amazing conversation between my 3 rockstar academic coaches Rocío Caballero-Gill, Gina Robinson, and Thea Racelis. They’re sharing what challenges, struggles, and growth they see from our mid-career/post-tenure Elevate participants, and what they love most about the program.
If their conversation piques your curiosity at all, don’t miss out on the info session for the next cohort of Elevate! Click here to learn more and sign up.
Key points discussed:
- Who Elevate clients are: mid to late career academics from a variety of fields who have tenure, some who have full, some who have admin or leadership positions, some who are not in traditional academic institutions.
- Common challenges our clients face.
- Helping clients find clarity and certainty in the direction they are going.
- Learning to pause, own, and celebrate accomplishments.
- The feeling of plateau that can come with tenure, and how to move past it.
- Managing scarcity mindset, the need for rest, and the pressure to perform at a certain level.
- Clients as whole people, and the rich community that results from showing up in their fullness.
- Community without competition.
- The coaches’ favorite parts about being involved in Elevate.
- “…is there anything after tenure? And the answer is: ‘yes, there is.’” -Thea Racelis
- “We spend a lot of time looking for external validation.” -Gina Robinson
- “We don’t assume everybody is at a specific place.” -Rocío Caballero-Gill
- “Everything that you’re doing is going to end up contributing to whether or not that work gets done…sustainably.” -Gina Robinson
- “If you’re breaking your back to get to tenure, is that how you want to go on?” -Gina Robinson
- “Seeing people say no is part of the richness…” -Thea Racelis
- “How you work is going to influence academia as a whole.” -Gina Robinson
Be sure to sign up for the info session for our next session of Elevate! The coaches and I are all excited to meet you and help you up-level your career your way. Head here to learn more and sign up: https://scholarsvoice.org/elevate-info-session/.
Do you have an almost done article languishing in a virtual drawer? A new writing project you haven’t been able to make time for? Or a piece of writing in the messy middle that needs to be revived? Grab my Writing Sprint Blueprint, a powerful productivity tool to help stalled out publications get out of your pipeline and into the world. As a bonus, you’ll also gain access to my private podcast feed “Stick to the Plan”, a 10 episode series of short, inspirational messages to keep you going. Click here to get the Writing Sprint Blueprint and “Stick to the Plan” podcast series for just $27!
Connect with me:
Follow me on Clubhouse: @cathymazak
Stay current in Academic Publishing
Subscribe to our newsletter:
In the Pipeline
writing tips, publishing trends, reading recomendations, free workshops