What The Curated Pipeline Unlocks For You
Developing a strong publication pipeline is vital for academics looking to advance their careers, increase publications, and establish a healthy work-life balance. Previous podcast episodes have explained how publication pipelines can help you stay on mission, improve your relationship with writing, and get articles to submission faster.
Today, I share what a curated publication can unlock for you. Carefully and intentionally selecting which projects to dedicate your time and energy to has a significant effect on your influence and impact in your field. Tune in to learn what it means to curate your publication pipeline, the risks of over-committing to writing projects, and how curation can change your academic career.
What is a Curated Publication Pipeline?
A publication pipeline is a high-level, multi-project map of all the writing and publication projections you are working on. The publication pipeline should be curated because it brings a sense of intentionality to your writing. Especially early on in an academic career, it is instinctual to take on every project presented to you. However, your publications pave the path to influence in your field. As a result, it is necessary to evaluate and curate every writing and publication project before adding it to your workload.
Bottomline: You must carefully and intentionally choose what to publish and what not to publish to stay aligned with your academic mission statement and career goals.
What Happens When You Don’t Curate Your Pipeline
When a publication pipeline is not curated, you become overwhelmed and overworked, and publications get clogged. You end up publishing at a lower level because you are forced to divide your time between projects. Some of them are important and on track with your mission statement and have the potential to unlock different career opportunities. Others are off-mission and simply eating away at your valuable time and energy. To create a work-life balance, you must use your time wisely. Wasting energy on writing projects that do not serve your mission or career is a disservice to you and your field.
What the Curated Pipeline Unlocks for You
When designing your pipeline from a place of abundance instead of scarcity, your influence is unlocked. By intentionally choosing what to focus your writing, research, and time on, you have a much more significant impact on your field and career.
Learn about everything that is unlocked by curating your publication pipeline, including:
- More publication opportunities
- More Influence and impact
- Better position to change or advance thinking in your field
- Confidence, power, and agency as an academic and scholar
“Your publication is saying something about who you are as a scholar and it is also helping to create your impact in the world. The right people are reading your work so that they are thinking about it during their research project and ultimately you’re influencing the direction in which your field moves”
“Curation is the process of really understanding where you want to go with your work. By carefully selecting things based on your academic mission statement, the strategy you have for publishing, and the season of career that you are in – all of those things come together to influence your choices and curation of publications.”
We’ve opened the waitlist for our next cohort of Navigate: Your Writing Roadmap®. Check out the program details and get on the waitlist here.
CONTINUE THE CONVERSATION:
- Our 12-week Navigate: Your Writing Roadmap® program helps tenure-track womxn and nonbinary professors to publish their backlog of papers so that their voice can have the impact they know is possible. Get on the waitlist here!
- Cathy’s book, Making Time to Write: How to Resist the Patriarchy and Take Control of Your Academic Career Through Writing is available in print! Learn how to build your career around your writing practice while shattering the myths of writing every day, accountability, and motivation, doing mindset work that’s going to reshape your writing, and changing academic culture one womxn and nonbinary professor at a time. Get your print copy today or order it for a friend here!
- Want to train with us for free on your campus? Now you can when you recommend our Scholar’s Voice Faculty Retreats to a decision-maker on your campus! Download the brochure with the retreat curriculum and both in-person and online retreat options here.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL:
Stay current in Academic Publishing
Subscribe to our newsletter:
In the Pipeline
writing tips, publishing trends, reading recomendations, free workshops